Hey dog lovers, Hope everyone is enjoying the snow, I know my dogs are. They are bouncing around like bunnies cause it is taller then them.
Today I am going to finish up Dog Myths post, so with that lets begin,
7. Table scraps are good for dogs. I know I am guilty of doing this with my dogs but I am very careful with what I give them in terms of fat and bones. As both of these can be dangerous and hazards to dogs as some do not digest it properly and can cause gastrointestinal problems.
8. Garlic prevents fleas. This is a myth as no scientific experiment was ever done to prove this. Large amounts of garlic can be harmful though.
9. Household “pet dogs” don’t need to be trained. Obviously a myth as every dog needs some sort of training, the younger the better to start.
10. Dogs eat grass when they are sick. Eating small amounts is normal as they are descendants of wolves but it doesn’t mean they are sick.
11. Dogs like tasty food. False, they have very poor taste buds and eat primarily off of smell.
12. Licking is Healing. It is natural to lick a wound but not excessively as that prohibits the healing process.
13. Dogs will let you know when they are sick. False, they usually hide it as its a natural instinct to not appear weak so they don’t become prey, so watch for signs of sickness like puking and over drinking.
14. Dogs that are mostly indoors don’t need heart-worm prevention. This is not true at all, both indoor and outdoor pets are at the same risk for heart-worm disease as it is spread through mosquito which can be let inside.
15. Dogs eat rocks, lick concrete or eat their or another animals stools because of nutrient imbalances. Kody is a huge offender of eating rocks, as a result he now has flat teeth, which is cute but sad. Some vets say it is because of boredom or they want attention. There is no way to prevent this from happening, make sure your dog is eating a healthy diet.
16. Dogs don’t need to housebroken–they naturally know where to go. Again starting training younger is better then waiting. Kody learned to tell us to go outside as Jasmine would do a dance or come get us so now that is what he does. Positive reinforcement is key when training for any skills.
Well guys that is it for this week, as always let me know what you think of my posts, comments and questions are welcome as well.
Thanks for reading guys!!